Are Constant Prayer and Conscious Action Enough?
by Harriet Tubman Wright
Although I’m generally positive, looking for the good in situations that are challenging, difficult or just crazy; I’m troubled by the intensified global warming disasters and aghast by the series of regressive executive orders coupled with raucous pontifications, social media antics and immoral activities, instigated by White House operatives who are shored up by private and corporate billionaires. Perhaps you’ve also been shaken up or shaken “woke!”
All year, I’ve signed countless on-line petitions, some of which have halted attempts to reverse or repeal progress that we thought we had made. I’ve become better informed about local and national “civics.” In addition, I’ve convened with other artist-activists to develop resistance strategies, dialogue with “the other” formats, seeking ways to contribute creative solutions to potent issues affecting our generation and those that follow.
- How are you handling the internal and external challenges that you’re encountering?
- What experiences or events have caused you to change your thinking or re-consider your actions (or inaction?)
Beneath the agitation, my heart and soul hurt. This quote says it well:
“I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!” (Actor Peter Finch as television anchorman Howard Beale in the film Network)
Thinking about the final months of 2017…
Justice and Peace have always been values for me. Given blatant, blasphemous, bigoted activities within the year thus far, as well as my experiences and those of other people of color in this country, I fervently stand for social, economic and environmental justice; take a knee for racial justice and raise two hands for global peace. It’s time for all people of moral consciousness, spiritual maturity and emotional resilience to take back our power!
- Who are you choosing to be?
- What are you willing to do?
- What are you ready to create
I choose to keep my faith strong, hope alive and commitment deep, as well as continue to cultivate and share my vision of a world that values:
- balance between the divine feminine and the sacred masculine that leads to harmony and wholeness.
- conscious, spiritual and planetary evolution
- gifts of diversity & indigenous wisdom
- reverence for Mother Earth and harmony with nature
- equitable distribution & responsible use of resources
- community, connection and contributions of children and elders
- freedom of expression & creative genius
- people over profits, education over incarceration, cooperation over exploitation
- just governance for the good of the whole & peace
Consistent Prayer and Conscious Action are necessary, and more?
- In what ways can you still make a positive difference?
- By years end, what do you want to celebrate?
“Take conscious, heart-felt action now, as if your life depends on it, because in fact, your life and the life of the planet depend on it.”
-Harriet Tubman Wright
“Nothing will work unless you do.” – Maya Angelou
I’d love to hear from you. Please share your comments below.